Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Touch

What is it about the touch that we crave so much to have? What is it that when we are touched by someone whom we care about it brings calmness to our inner being? Whenever I see a baby I love to put my finger to their tiny hands to see if the wrap their tiny fingers around my finger; the touch of a new life.

Reminiscing of when my sons were infants brings a unique joy to me. When my oldest son was old enough for his first "real" bed, he had to have me lie down on the floor next to his bed with our hands hand in hand until he drifted off to his dream world. Some nights it would be short time while other nights it could be what seemed forever. If I slipped my hand away too early he would grab it back and I would not let go. There were times my arm would be numb by the position of holding my arm up to his bed for the amount of time it took, but to provide what he needed wasn't a sacrifice, it's what you do when you are a parent. You provide the touch of security.

Just a couple of days ago the three of us were walking around a park lake and my youngest son grabbed hold of my hand to hold it. We walked hand in hand, then my oldest son came up put his arm around me while the three of us walked around the path around the water; the touch of bonding.

There is something about that connection when someone else that you care about transcends your space and touches your skin. When someone reaches out and wraps their arms around you when you are having a difficult time. It goes deeper than just a physical touch it is a soul touch. No words need to be said; the touch of comfort.

If that touch were to go away, what would it be like? Would my soul go dry with loneliness? Would my soul become calloused to intimacy? Would my soul evolve to be so self sufficient to where I no longer craved that feeling?

There are times that my soul needs healing; healing from sin, healing from hurt or healing from loneliness. I read in the Gospels that Jesus Himself uses the power of His touch for healing. It was their faith that healed but the touch that provided the confirmation. 12While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." 13Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him. Luke 5:12-13 (New International Version) The touch of His healing.

Several weeks ago my youngest son had already gone to bed and my oldest and I were watching the television. I was where most men would be late night when we are watching television, I was laying on the couch with the remote in hand, that is what us men do. My oldest son, who is as tall as me now, came to me and said "Dad can you just hold me?" I replied, "Of course." He laid in front of me, I wrapped my arms around him and he placed his hands on mine. A tear came to my eye as I held him. He is no longer that little toddler that needs his daddy to lay down beside his bed anymore to hold his hand, but he still needs that touch; the touch of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

You are so darn talented. I really enjoyed what you wrote. You need to do more writing...you have a gift.

Keep in touch with me.

Kim